It is strongly recommended that you take precautions to save your data from becoming a Ransomware host!
Ransomware Adage / Phobos
Adage is one of the latest variations of Ransomware Phobos. This malware is transmitted through attachments / email links, exploiting the weaknesses of operating systems or software contained in your computer. Cyber raiders send spam emails using fake header information, such as emails from courier companies like DHL or FedEx.
Ransomware targets all versions of Windows including Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. When this ransomware starts on the computer, it creates a random filename that can be launched through the AppData or LocalAppData folder. Next it will start scanning all the drive locations on your computer to lock files and documents. The encrypted file will have a .adage connection with a randomly generated user ID number. Users are then asked to pay a ransom to access the infected files.
Here are the precautions to take:
1. Avoid clicking, downloading attachments or opening links from unfamiliar and suspicious websites and emails.
2. Don't download any programs from unofficial sources.
3. Ensure that the Operating System of the computer is kept fully updated through Windows Update.
4. Make sure the system has antivirus that is still licensed and is constantly updated.
5. Always backup all data to external devices such as external hard drive / usb pendrive.
Date of Input: 26/09/2019 | Updated: 26/09/2019 | nazlina
Universiti Putra Malaysia
UPM Putra InfoPort - IOI Resort
Jalan Kajang - Puchong
43400 UPM Serdang
Selangor Darul Ehsan